Saturday, July 11

My Pop

Had a great time up there with him. When my Mum rocked up I felt like he changed a bit and felt like our time together was at an end so I left earlier than planned. I told him this as well. Bob (Chris's father in law) looks after him whilst Mum does whatever it is she does while she is up there. She is on a carers payment SO she should be looking after the old fella. She does (in a roundabout way) but I think she only cares about her 'little boy'.

If I had a son like said 'little boy' I would not have Mum looking after him. Xavier is nearly 3 and well... less said the better. Throwing sticks at Jessica, kicking balls into her face, throwing her teddies onto the roof, snatching toys off her, not letting anyone play with the kids toys whilst he was down in Morwell... Does not bode well. He needs a wooden spoon wrapped over his arse repeatedly to correct his bad ways. I feel as though when these things happen that it is HIS job to discipline not MINE. Told Dad as such and he agrees.

Anyway, back to my time in Wycheproof.

Pop adores Jessica. And Jessica adores Pop. If only he'd stick around for a little bit longer to see them grow up some more. It's pretty sad because I have an awesome relationship with my Pop and would love for my kids to have the same with him. Initially I liked Pop because he gave us money (when we were little). Then I got older and really enjoyed his company and his mannerisms. He is from a completely different period of time.... Some of the stories he told me.

(*) How he met Nan (called the wrong number, early 1970's)
(*) A dog inspector from when he was 7 years old (Circa 1915) and the battles that ensued.
(*) Being dead drunk in the 1930's (hopping on his horse and falling asleep only for the horse to take him back to campsite).
(*) His first job (early 1920's) where he saw the boss in an uncompromising situation with a female associate and was thereby sacked.

(*) Owning a Pub in South Melbourne. Many stories here...
(1) How the council put a roundabout on the corner and ruined the business.
(2) Driving down to the Docks to pick up the Wharfies/Painters & Dockers and take them back to pub.
(3) Extending closing time from 6pm to 10pm (which he said ruined the pub as all the pissheads headed to his bar on masse).
(4) Having an ex-Champion Aussie boxer keeping the peace from said pissheads.

(*) Running a Butter Factory in Gunbower(!) that was the best job he ever had.
(1) A driver hitting a cow and calling the butcher out to slaughter the animal on the side of the road.
(2) Employing 3 other workers.
(3) Making a SHITTTLOAD of money (he said).

(*) Knowing people fixing country races with big city horses and making a lot of $$$$.
(*) Having his first winner (aged 14) - Sister Olive (1922 Melbourne Cup). His mother took all his winnings and started the chain where he packed his swag and left home.

So many stories in fact that the next time I go up there I am going to get it all recorded.....