Saturday, January 9

Wycheproof/Bendigo

Saw Pop on Thursday. Nice 5.5 hour drive to get up there. He was full of old time stories.

I asked if people were different 80 years ago. He said yes because you couldn't trust anyone during the great depression BUT folk in the country were top notch. He left home at age 14 and carried his swag for about 10 years working in country Victoria or up in NSW. He worked as a shearer, cattle drover or just asking for odd jobs around farmsteads. He used to get around by hitching a ride in the odd passing wagon, had a horse for a few years and a bicycle (which he laughed at). Told me of his first job when he was 13 (1921) he worked in an engraving shop. He was told to show something to the boss, he walked in without knocking at the door and caught the boss and his secretary shagging on the table. He was paid his weekly wage and told to "get out and don't come back".

I always enjoy Pop's company. He aint going to be around for ever. 101 is a long innings at the crease.

Spent the day with Byron on Friday. Picked him up at 10AM and went to tenpin bowling in Bendigo. He'd never been so it was enjoyable watching him enjoy himself. I actually broke my all time record by bowling a 212. We then had some Hungry Jacks for lunch and ventured into the shoping mall area. I let Byron spend $20 in Toyworld. He wanted to go to EB Games as well. He hasn't changed all that much since I saw him last. I took him to Lansell Plaza and he bought a $20 PS2 game and then I took him home. It was about 38 deg C (102 F) - just too damn hot to do anything. Dropped him off at 3.30pm ans then drove the 5 hour trip back to Morwell. Grabbed some yummy Chinese food from the suburb where I grew up in (Sunshine). Was very glad to see home. Basically fell asleep within 30 minutes of getting home.

Another scorcher today at cricket. High 30's Sunday then low 40's on Monday. Oh how I hate Summer !