Friday, January 11

A holiday within a holiday

3 days into my sons visit.

So far so good. I picked him up from the Calder Park inbound servo at 11am on Wednesday. After picking Jaiden up from Hallam, we travelled on to Morwell. Took us 3.5 hours to get back home. I found it easy to talk to Byron and there wasn't any awkward moments. With Jai in the car for the last 90 minutes made it easier as well.

It has been fucking hot since then. Was 31 on Wednesday, 39 yesterday (ack) and it's gonna hit 41 today before a cool change sweeps through in the afternoon sometime. The kids have spent the best part of the days in the pool. Paige has been following Byron around like he had a $100 note sticking out of his arse. Bloody Paige. Poor Sarah has been left out of the fun. Paige dropped her like a hot potato the moment Byron walked through the door. Currently he is sleeping in the spare room (has tv, PS2 and DVD player).

I let them stay up late Wednesday night as I knew if I put them all to bed early they would've played up. Paige always wants to kiss him and was even very bold (stupid) to ask if they could sleep in the same bed. Jesus H Christ. She has been a nightmare. My son is an easy going kid, well behaved and level headed. We think he is a bit of a Mummies Boy as he sort of clings to Ang when he can. Last night they watched Zathura together in his 'bedroom'. I will eventually get to spend some time with him. I am not that worried that I am not getting any quality time right now. I have the rest of HIS life to get to know him. I am patient to wait.

I will probably take my son and Jaiden off fishing on Monday. Probably go down to the Latrobe River near Traralgon somewhere. I am also going to try and take just Byron off for a game of golf with me. That's 3.5 hours alone. Should be fun.

His mum has called and so has his stepdad to check up that everything is OK. One little pearl of wisdom we have received from him is that he gets the belt at home. Apparently across the back of the legs when he is naughty. I'm a believer in discipline - but I would never use an item to hit my kids. A sharp smack does the job IF word discipline doesn't work. But I can make myself look ultra angry with a few words and my eyes. I don't really hit the girls here at home. A little smack on Sarah's bum now and again if she doesn't do what we say. We don't hit Paige anymore after she told her Dad AND she tends to go right off the deep end emotionally if we do hit her.

That's aboot it from me from now. Will update in a couple more days...